Quick Guide: Which Lube Should I Get?
One of the most common questions that we're asked is: "Which lube should I get?" Picking the right lubricant is important for pleasure and health, and this quick guide will help you find the lube that's best for your desired use.
- Water-Based Lubricant, Standard – A popular and all-purpose option, water-based lubricant can be used with any sex toy material and is a good choice for most sexual activities, with the notable exception of anal play. We recommend Sliquid Naturals H2O, one of our best sellers.
- Hybrid Lubricant – For more longevity and slipperiness, a hybrid lubricant is a solid pick. Hybrid lube typically has a water-based formula that is blended with a small amount of silicone. It is easier to wash off compared to pure silicone-based lubricant, but it can still stain bedsheets. We recommend Sliquid Silk, a hybrid lubricant that has a water-based formula blended with 12% silicone and cream emollients. Before using hybrid lubricant with a silicone toy, it is important to do a patch test to determine if the silicone in the lubricant is compatible with that of the toy, and vice versa. If the test patch becomes gummy, the hybrid lube and silicone toy are not compatible.
- Water-Based Lubricant, Gel – For anal play, pick up a water-based gel lubricant that is formulated specifically for this purpose. Unlike the vagina, the anus does not self-lubricate. This makes the anus more susceptible to insertion injuries in the absence of a generous amount of thick, longer-lasting gel lube. This variety of anal lubricant can also be used with any sex toy material. We recommend Sliquid Sassy, a water-based gel lubricant fortified with extra plant cellulose.
- Silicone-Based Lubricant – For a long-lasting, extra slippery option that requires no reapplication, get a silicone-based lubricant. Since silicone-based lube is not water soluble, it is great for those who enjoy playing in the shower. Keep in mind that silicone-based lubricant can stain bedsheets and a thorough, soapy shower will be required for clean up. We recommend Ride BodyWorx Silicone. Err on the side of caution and, before using silicone-based lubricant with a silicone toy, do a patch test to determine if the silicone in the lubricant is compatible with that of the toy, and vice versa. If the test patch becomes gummy, the silicone-based lube and silicone toy are not compatible.
- Coconut Oil-Based Lubricant – For all-over body play, coconut oil-based lubricant is a great choice. It is an effective skin moisturizer, including for intimate areas. We recommend Sliquid Soul. Important: Coconut oil-based lubricant is not compatible with condoms, as it breaks down most condom materials.
For more lube options, check out Lubricants.